After moving to Madera in 1937, George and Opal Montague started holding a prayer meeting in their home. In October of 1939 the Madera Church of God was born. The church held their services at the Woman’s Improvement Club of Madera.
Believing that they needed to be faithful to the laws of the land, on July 11, 1946, “Articles of Incorporation” were filed to register the church with the town of Madera. Around that same time, the property on which the current office building sits was purchased and construction began on the two story building. In June of 1949 the building was completed enough to hold services on the second floor, which was only accessible by a steep staircase located outside the back of the building.
February 10, 1957, marked the ground breaking ceremony for our current Sanctuary building. The first service to be held in the new building was on Easter Sunday, March 19, 1959, even though the building was not completed and dedicated until October 4 of that same year. The architectural purpose of the clear glass windows on the north side of the building is “allowing natural light in, and the outward look to the world, lest we become complacent and look too much to our own needs.”
Throughout its history, Fourth Street has endeavored to be a light in the community of Madera. In recent years we have seen much growth, both spiritually as well as numerically. Pray for us as we continue to seek fresh and relevant ways to communicate the never changing Good News of Jesus Christ in our ever changing world.